Skin is the most amazing organ. If you look after it and limit sun exposure and moisture loss, skin can retain elasticity and firmness well into our 80s. It is the outward portrait of our inward health, a snapshot of how well or not we’ve looked after ourselves so far in life. This chapter examines the science behind good skin, how to reverse or retard the onset of wrinkles and age or liver spots and how to maintain firmness and elasticity well into the autumn of our lives.
• Give up smoking. Smoking ages the skin like nothing else.
• Limit alcohol intake.
• Wear a sunscreen and moderate sun exposure.
• Junk food, through the bad ‘ free radicals ’ it generates, plays havoc with your complexion – junk it!
• Eat plenty of delicious fruit and vegetables – your skin will love the antioxidants.
• Take exercise – circulation improves blood flow that feeds nutrients to the skin.
• Cleanse daily and exfoliate weekly – skin pores get clogged with oils, dirt and pollution.