Historically, garlic has been held in high accord for its health promoting properties by many traditional cultures throughout the world. Garlic is also used in many Asian cuisines, where its sulphur bearing compounds (like allicin), add a pungent tang to a number of oriental favorites.
The Health Properties of Garlic Include:
• Being anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterialand anti-viral
• Having antioxidant properties
• Contains vitamin C, selenium and manganese three very beneficial compounds
• Reduction of blood pressure
• Protection against heart attacks, stroke and diabetic heart disease. Garlic can reduce atherosclerotic plague and lower homocysteine.
• Fight against certain cancers
• Promotes weight loss
The root of the turmeric plant is frequently used throughout Asia, where it is added to oriental dishes to enhance both colour and flavour. This herb contains the polyphenol called Curcumin which is attributed with health giving properties such as:
• Anti-inflammatory and anti-degenerative abilities. This herb is prescribed to lower the pains associated with osteo and rheumatoid arthritis and to lower ldl cholesterol.
• Is a rich source of vitamin B6 which assists in controlling harmful high levels of homocysteine.
• Exhibits anti-oxidant properties and should thus be helpful in the fight against cancer and promoting generally an anti-aging strategy.
• Boosts the liver’s ability to complete its detoxification functions.
• Helps the fight against neurodegenerative diseases, such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
» Build both garlic and turmeric into your daily dietary plan. These two herbs have scientifically proven health benefits which can enhance any anti-aging strategy. If you cannot do the best thing of adding fresh garlic and turmeric to your diet opt for the supplement route.
» Use the fresh produce when possible.
» These herbs are beneficial – but they are not miracle workers. Hence any health promoting herb can only supplement a well-planned anti-aging diet. For example both these herbs reduce ldl cholesterol – an extremely important point, however as normal “prevention is better than cure” so it is more advisable to minimize the intake of cholesterol in your diet, by converting more to a plant-based diet. The bell continues to revibrate the same message – reduce your cholesterol intake!